Teenagers with body mass measures between 25 and 30 require immediate medical attention. The internal stress caused from so much weight almost guarantees the premature development of medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease, cancers, and stroke.
There's no question that aggressive weight loss methods are necessary and these teenagers need to be followed by medical experts for years to come. But what about teenagers with body mass measures just below 25? Is it safe for this group of overweight and mildly obese teenagers to lose weight?
The verdict is still out – the weight loss community continues to wait for more evidence supporting aggressive weight loss methods for overweight teens. I say while we wait, let's lose some weight.
But we do not need to be so aggressive with this group. Overweight teens need to lose weight, but in a slow, gradual process. Lasting weight loss and the development of positive habits should replace the push for immediate weight loss in adolescents with body mass measures between 22 and 25.
The there's the teenager wanting to lose weight for purely cosmetic reasons. How do we approach this fragile situation as parents and professionals? We can not just say no to her for fear she might turn to unhealthy means to lose weight. But we can not just give him a green light and say go for it, either.
The rest of this article focuses on the cosmetic teenage weight loss dilemma. The best thing I can do is at least provide some ground rules for teenagers with body mass indices less than 22 who insist on losing weight.
Cosmetic Teenage Weight Loss – The Ground Rules
Here's a simple, straight forward list of ground rules for teenagers wanting to lose weight for cosmetic reasons:
- Losing weight with a body mass index less than 19 is not recommended and might even be harmful. Things like eating disorders, endocrine abnormalities, stunted growth, and anorexia are all well documented consequences from unnecessary teenage weight loss.
- Teenagers with body mass measures between 20 and 22, can lose 5 to 10 pounds in a safe and effective manner.
- The primary mechanism for teenage weight loss is always the "burning" of excess calories through increased physical activity. A combination of aerobic exercises and resistance training works fast and produces the best results.
- Teenage weight loss by restricting calories should be kept to a minimum. A slow, gradual, and controlled restriction of calories is key. I recommend starting with a 5% reduction of calories from baseline for two weeks. This is followed by a 10% reduction for one week and then a 15% reduction (if necessary) for one week.
- Dedication to a consistent exercise program typically produces the weight loss desired without any changes to the caloric intake. A more natural way to reduce calories comes from eating a more balanced and nutritious diet, including more servings of fruits and vegetables.
- Emphasizing consistent exercise and a nutritious diet is often all that is needed for a teenager to drop some weight, firm and tone muscle, and achieve her "cosmetic" goals.
For the actual steps to safe and effective teenage weight loss, additional information on resistance training, and guidelines for restricting calories, use this link …
Teenage Weight Loss Plan
To Healthy Living!
Michael A. Smith, MD
Chief Medical Consultant
Diet Basics Website
Holiday shopping is seldom easy. Whether you're just hopping around department stores or just surfing the net, the limitless choices made available by advertisers can actually be more of a detriment for someone who is in a real hurry. This can be quite problematic if you're on a budget and have such a long shopping list. Time constraints do not really provide you the benefit of thoroughly comparing every item in each store in an effort to find yourself the best bargain. One who has been shopping for hours can quite easily succumb to the pressure and end up buying gifts beyond a planned budget.
If you're in this very familiar predicament, all is not lost. When shopping for holiday gifts it sometimes makes more sense to look for items that are simple yet meaningful. While a sophisticated electronic gadget could certainly get a friend excited, simple inexpensive gifts like personalized mugs or engraved pens may just elicit the same amount of appreciation.
Nothing is perhaps more appropriate than a gift that actually captures the holiday spirit. As holidays bring sentimental moments, you'd want to give something you would be remembered for. Embroidered pillows and blankets would be good choices. Collectibles like cd's and personalized caps should also do the trick. Listed below are some gift items worth considering:
• shirt of a home team
• cross stitching kit
• bottle of a local wine
• personalized notepad
• photo album
• memo holders
• tool kits
• Carpentry kits
• versatile pocket knife
While you'll certainly be shaved with praises by giving a fancy cellphone or notebook, it sometimes makes more sense to go for something more practical yet thoughtful. You do not really have to dent your budget to please a friend. People tend to get appreciated more for the amount of effort that they've performed in looking for that meaningful gift that touches the heart. Whether it's Christmas, Thanksgiving, or a major school reunion, there's really no reason to panic. All it takes is just a little imagination and a touch of creativity.
For more information on unique gifts and specialty items, please visit
Swarovski bridal jewelry has been a popular choice for a lot of women today. A reason for this is that Swarovski crystals just looks cool and fantastic because of its one of a kind glimmer and shine. So it’s no wonder that so many people just find themselves highly likely to buy this type of crystals. If it’s your first time to purchase Swarovski then you might just find it much better to do so using these useful tips:
1. Be familiar with different Swarovski crystals and know which one you would like to buy. It can be very unnerving to find that there are so many options out in the market. You can begin by searching up online and looking for the different types and make of Swarovski crystals that you can purchase.
2. Look for a reliable seller. The last thing you want is to find a person who will not be able to give you the right and authentic crystals you so want to purchase. Research about how authentic the seller is and you should also take time to look at the person’s comments and reviews page. Check what other people has to say about this person as they have made transactions with him or her. The more comments you find, then all the more better.
3. Check out the payment options. If you are buying your crystals online then it would be best to do a quick look at the site’s overall look and feel. This is a great way for you to understand just how much reliable the site is when it comes to making transactions. Don’t forget to check the security measures being used onsite or else you might end up making an unnecessary risk.
4. Have a budget before looking at the market or better yet, start with canvassing for prices first. Although Swarovski crystals are generally much less expensive than other precious gems, it is still a precious stone and as such would be more pricey than what you would have expected. So as soon as you get to finish making your canvass it would be easier for you to budget your money so that you can buy the perfect Swarovski crystals that you want.
5. Pair up your crystals with the occasion. This is a great way for you to be able to trim down your choices. Think of the actual reason why you decided to buy Swarovski in the first place and from there, you can think about better choices much easier.
6. Look for classic colors and designs. On way you can enjoy your Swarovski crystals much better is if you get to choose designs that are almost all-around. This simply means that it can be used for different occasions. It would be best to have a design that you can wear even after the wedding is over so that you can really stretch its usability.
7. Get the opinion of a designer. If you are having your gown made through couture, it would be wise to consult them about these crystals too.
Learning a language, especially Spanish can be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. I have put together a few tips on surviving the Spanish language course.First of all, if you have ever decided on learning Spanish or you think it’s time to knuckle down and finally learn Spanish, you are in luck because there has never been a better time to learn it. More and more countries are accepting Spanish on their school curriculum’s as there are more Spanish speakers venturing to other countries seeking out new lives. If you do not want to “miss the boat” as it were, now’s the time to study Spanish.
Below I’ve made some bullet points on learning Spanish effectively.
Why learn Spanish in the first place
First of all, before you begin your classes it would be a good idea to know your exact reasons for wanting to learn the language. Is it for work or play? In other words, do you need it in your job or is your learning Spanish more orientated to towards leisure or culture? So many people are finding better employment these days as a direct result of learning a language such as Spanish. The opportunities that exist are literally endless – translation, catering/restaurants, government and civil servant jobs to name but a few. I’m quite sure your boss will appreciate you that much more too, let alone your personal finances! Yes, having another language is a tool that helps you earn more money and that can’t be bad, can it? Also, your boss will be inclined to promote you as you will be an invaluable asset to his or any company.
If you have motives other than your job or career then I’m sure you’ll find learning Spanish a rewarding hobby. Just think about being able to converse with your new neighbors in Spanish! How welcome you’d make them feel by chatting to them in their native language. Imagine impressing your family and friends by ordering your next meal at a Mexican or Spanish restaurant in fluent Spanish.
Learning because of love
Maybe you’ve set your heart on learning the Spanish language because of love. Maybe you have met the girl or boy of your dreams and the language barrier has reared its ugly head. What a fine and noble opportunity to learn your future mate’s language and converse properly with them. One of the best methods to learn Spanish today is by using one of the very many online Spanish course methods. There are a few good ones on the internet today and they are all highly recommended for learning the language.
So whether it’s to improve your career, to enrich yourself culturally or even love then you could hardly go wrong in starting out on the right foot with an online Spanish course.